Saturday, June 20, 2009

Special people....

I mentioned a while back that I would "introduce" some of the people I met while I was there at the Ronald McDonald House in Memphis. Most certainly I came back from this visit with a full heart. What I also came home with was a MOVED heart and mind...seeing firsthand the many families going though very difficult circumstances. I am going to write from memory from my visit...I did not write anything down. I should have. In fact, what I should have done is interview these special people to better represent them, their unique situations and feelings. I will do my best. I also should have taken pictures of them. When I make another visit during the chemotherapy phase of the treament, I will make sure to do these things.

One of the most memorable families I met there was from Lousianna. In fact I nicknamed Tim, the father, Lousianna (he doesn't know this...yet) as a reference. haha I seemed to see him A LOT in the kitchen and he had that great accent and was cookin' up a storm ALL the time. From gumbo to corn flake sweets...we had our own Food Network going on in there. His wife, Tanya, is a sweet, soft spoken woman who has a very calm personality type. She was often caring for their 3 year old son who has leukemia. Her parents, also from Baton Rouge, came to visit and were simply a delight. Jackie and Barry. I'll never forget. We had fun in the kitchen and dining area. I probably spent the most time chatting and laughing with them. We shared kitchen space. We made coffee for eachother. Jackie always seemed to have a pot brewing. She knew I loved it too. It was touching to see the grandparents be there for their little grandson. Another thing I remember is Tim asking if we heard their son screaming. Well, we did....across the hall and he cried because he hates his medicine. I would guess a 3 year old hates a lot of what he has to endure in his situation. But again, the pleasant attitude of the family during such a time was wonderful. I can't imagine it is easy. I'm certain it is not.

Another family I met was an Amish family. Matilda and Reuben. They have 3 children but were only there with 2 since the rooms allow for 4 people. Their daughter has leukemia. She is about 2 I think. She was simply adorable. They also had an infant son there. One thing I learned about leukemia is the necessity to protect them with "surgical" masks so as not to have them get sick. Their immune systems are so weak. Hers, Reuben said, was nonexistent. In fact, they also have to be very careful about what food they serve. It must be fresh and they can not give her any leftovers at all. He offered us chicken they didnt finish since they can't save it. Matilda, Jeni and I spent one night talking til after midnight actually. It was a rare treat for me. It was a sad reason for us all to be there together, but a growing and learning experience for me. Matilda is a beautiful person and they both were always so kind and calm. I kept worrying my hyper personality would scare them!! But we had a very nice time...again under unfortunate circumstances. You just have to try to make the best of what is unquestionably painful.

I met a mother named Mary I believe who has a 14 year old son with melanoma on his arm. She also has a 16 year old daughter who had brain cancer already. Can you imagine? She, too, was such a kind person. She mentioned how difficult it was to smile and be happy with what she is going through with her children. Her sons cancer is in his lymph nodes also.

I met another woman named Susan who has a 22 year old son with leukemia also. He, too, wore the mask all the time. He had been in remission but it came back. His lymph nodes got very swollen I guess and they had him checked. He hadn't been feeling well. I wish I could remember more details....

Trent was another very nice man with a 5 year old son with inoperable medulloblastoma. This type of cancer is what Jude has but because it is located on his brain stem, they are not able to remove it at all. He is undergoing radiation and chemotherapy. That is all that they can do.

These are but a few of the wonderful people that are at that house. I would have loved to hear more from them and also met others in the house to hear their stories. It was a privilege for me actually and these people probably have no idea the lasting impression they left on my heart. As I sit here typing, the emotions come flooding back. I had one emotional moment during that late night talk with Matilda and Jeni. Life has changed for all of them irreversibly leaving them with little control. They just go through the treaments and hope for the best possible outcome. I saw so many children all ages at the house and also at the hospital. Children that are so used to treatments....they are called in and they walk in like they are going to class. But, I was also glad for them to be in such good hands at St. Jude. I did not cry with any of them during my stay there. I did not want to make it more difficult emotionally than I know it must be. I do cry now remembering....