Saturday, June 6, 2009

The "Program".... and "my friend"

I thought I'd write a little more about what ST. Jude does for Jude. The treatments from the hospital are all done at no cost. Wonderful! To be in the best place for treatment of this cancer and also not have any out of pocket expenses? Wow. They are at the Ronald McDonald House, which also does not cost them. Another added bonus. The pantry at the house is all donated items and every resident of the house is free to go pick out food for consumption. There are even girl scout cookies (I indulged in some Thin Mints myself...happily) and the girl scouts came one day. They are given an $80 Kroger grocery card each week to go buy things not offered at the RMH such as butter, eggs, meat, bread, produce, etc. They each have one shelf in one of the community refrigerators and one shelf in the comm. freezer. It is not much space actually. It was an experience for me even with the cooking since I am used to having and making food for a small army. haha But it worked out perfectly. You do get used to it. One day a group called "Kole's Club" , I think, brought a mexican food dinner for the entire house. Various organizations donate like this or make visits. They have a craft room at the house, 2 game rooms, even a little exercise room. There is a laundry room and there are a couple of playgrounds outside for kids that are well enough to be outdoors. We took Jude to one and Jeni went on the swings with him in her lap. He couldn't play on anything yet....but he'll love it when he can!!!
There is a shuttle that comes to the RMH, running every 1/2 hour, that takes them to St. Jude for their appointments (Mon-Fri...they have weekends off from hospital treaments) and the shuttle will also take them to Kroger and Walgreens. Once a week I think it takes them to Target for an hour and another shopping center once a month??? I forget. Their weekdays started at about 7:30 when they would take the shuttle to St. Jude. With all of the various appointments, it runs til about 1:30 and as late as 3:30 or so. Weekends are time off. There are activities and places to go where St. Jude patients and family members are free. The zoo we went to was one...but I believe they can go to Graceland and even a baseball game! I met many people while I was there. I asked Jeni to get some of their pictures so I can "introduce" them to you. I thoroughly enjoyed them and we had a lot of fun times actually, in spite of the reasons we were all there. I will mention them in another post.

My friend: What a gift it was for me to spend time there with Jeni. I knew I loved her before I went....but being able to spend this time...well....I adore her all the more! We had so many wonderful conversations and so many giggles and laughs. This despite the reason we were there together. "It is what it is". We did not spend our time being sad or depressed about the situation at all for the most part. Is it sad? Of course. Something that Jeni said really touched me deeply and made me feel so much for her....and hurt for her too. She said she does not expect her son to come out of all this the same as he was before. She is sad that she possibly will not have the Jude she had since there are many effects of the treatments he must go through for survival. These possible effects, in varying degrees, can be hearing loss and bone growth changes. It can also affect learning and memory. And she can't know what Jude's outcome will be until he is done. BUT...that being said, he will be alive and for that she is very pleased. She just wants to hold and love her son. She is a beautiful person...inside and out. She is someone I could enjoy being with no matter what we were doing. We laughed about things we have in common that we never knew! She is an amazing woman and exceptional mother. Her concern is Jude first, herself after. She has a heart of gold and is so generous, kind, loving and caring. She is selfless really. She kept thinking of ME during the week there...and I was thinking of how to be of help to HER! That's why I was there. Her laugh is adorably contagious and her personality is just as cute as can be. She is realistic about all of this, pushing herself to be strong. Her faith sustains her through what would be seemingly hopeless. She IS very strong, although I know she has her moments of vulnerability and downright sadness. I love Jeni more than I can ever express here in words. I told her I wished she saw herself as I see her. She is a "hero" to me.