Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Off to visit Jeni, Jay and Jude tomorrow!

Well, I am writing prior to my flight out to Tennessee tomorrow afternoon. I am very happy to be able to go out to see them. My dad helped me out getting the ticket and I appreciate that so much! I will be there for a week...getting home next Thursday.

I am looking forward to updating this blog while I am there since I will have great opportunities to take pictures of the hospital and the Ronald McDonald house where I wil be staying with them. Jeni says the hospital is beautiful and that the house is great as well. We may even get out and about with little Jude this weekend if he is up to it. We'll just have to see.

Jeni has said that he will receive 31 radiation treatments altogether..and I believe as of today, he will have had 5. After 3 weeks she was told it would be more difficult for him I think. He is still not talking and can't support his own weight. But I will post a video after this that shows him pushing himself in a wheelchair...which is awesome. It brought me to tears. I mentioned to Jeni on the phone that she sounded so upbeat and happy. She said that the reason she is like that is all because of Jude. HE is so happy ALL the time...giggling and smiling. She can't believe it. She said I won't believe how much better he is with the syndrome since the last I saw him. He was a little rag doll before he left. I can't wait to see him smile and wheel himself around! I am bringing cards, a fleece blanket from the Joyful Foundation, Jude's yearbook and a few other little items for them. I wish I could pack some rocks for him (he wants rocks from what I have heard) ...but those would be too heavy for my luggage. haha

To say something about my dear friend, Jeni....she is such a loving mother and kindhearted person. She knows I am coming and she tells me they are cleaning for me and she hopes I am not bored while I am there. With all she has to concern herself with...it touches my heart that she even thinks about that!!! I told her not to even worry about ANY of that. It's just the person she is and a person I am privileged to call my friend.

Jay is a great support for her at this time...and cares so much for his little guy too. It is so nice to see teamwork for the good of Jude. Maybe that is why Jude is so happy too. He needs them and they are there for him.

The diagnosis was "updated" to 'anaplastic medulloblastoma'...which was not great for them to hear. It is a far more aggressive type of this cancer. However, there has not been significant growth in any of the remaining tumors as of yet. And in talking with my dad, who is also a doctor, he said this type of cancer, while not good, can respond very well to chemotherapy. Jude comes home for 3 weeks following radiation. Then he will go back for 4 months for the chemotherapy. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Again, I will post updates while there. I will have an even more accurate post since I can have Jeni right next to me while I type it!!!