Thursday, November 19, 2009

Finally!!! Last chemo treatment for Judeeee!!!! Yipee!

It has been a long haul for little Jude since he was diagnosed last April with Anaplastic Medulloblastoma. He had surgery to remove the biggest tumor the very next day after diagnosis. There were 50 other smaller tumors. Jeni had to make the important yet difficult decision to accept treatment in the form of radiation and chemotherapy at St. Jude Hospital in Memphis, TN. But this was the best choice for him. Jeni loves her little boy so much and has been there every step of the way. Jude is also blessed to have a daddy who loves and cares for him too and has made himself available to be there for the treatment. It has not been easy for them as parents. They were out there in the beginning of May and had 31 radiation treatments. Then they came home for a few weeks and flew back in August for the chemotherapy. 4 doses. These were very difficult and certainly unpleasant. His life has been very different these past 6 months. He has missed his family and friends back here in California. It was a privilege for me to be able to visit them twice during this journey. I went the first time at the end of May during his radiation. I stayed for a week. This was when his posterior fossa syndrome was still fairly severe and he was not even walking. It was during that trip that Jude also got his shunt put in. If you have read the posts from that time, I had to leave when they were in the ER still. It was a very emotional time for me. But what an appreciation for life, love and health I gained from this experience. I feel that I grew as a person and am thankful to my special friend for letting me come. I know she enjoyed the visit as well. She has had several visits from others...family and friends. These have been so very important to her and she has cherished every one.
I was also able to visit last month for a weekend. That, too, was a wonderful experience for me. I hold these memories close to my heart. Jeni and I laugh a lot...which I love!!! When I was there and had to leave (which I did not want to do) I joked with my husband about what would happen if I...say...."accidentally" missed my flight. Jude, sitting next to me, chimed in and said "Miss your flight". That was a highlight of my trip actually. To have this litle guy want me to stay!!! While talking to another mother there with her son who has leukemia, I expressed sincerely how much I personally had gained from witnessing first hand what has become routine for Jeni and Jude and other patients/families there. It is a big process every day for everything they do. I was in amazement to be honest. I watched Jeni take care of the TPN every night which is how Jude gets his nourishment. She has become a pro! It is different to be able to see the daily process rather than just hear about it. However, as I told the other mother as well.....this appreciation is still only as a bystander. I can not begin to imagine what the experience would be if it was my own child. Wow. I am very happy to be writing this since Jude received his FINAL chemotherapy treatment. He now waits for his counts to go up and to be eating....and hopefully come home next month!!!
He's done!!!! It's time to celebrate!

Jude getting his last chemo treatment in the med room. You can see his shunt behind his left ear.